- Collaborate with the corporate Learning & Development department (if your organization has one)
- If you think something is self explanatory and doesn't require training, think again. Never assume that people will be able to "figure it out."
- Conduct a training needs analysis
- Remember that training comes in many shapes and forms. The best approach to training is often blended learning. Learn it, love it, use it.
- Create a training curriculum
- Training development takes a lot of time. A LOT. In the words of scuba divers everywhere, "Plan the dive. Dive the plan."
- Develop the training
- Deliver the training
- Create a sustainable training plan that will allow you to deliver training on an ongoing basis to people who may have missed the initial training (e.g., people on vacation or maternity leave, new hires) or who need an occasional reminder
- Evaluate the training...and improve it, as appropriate
Let me know: What are the main activities you consider when planning a training program?