Please note that this blog is no longer active. For the most recent insights on Change Management, strategy, and people, please go to www.parkourconsulting.com.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Change Management Virtual Book Club Starting Next Week - Join Now!

I recently finished reading Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard, by Chip and Dan Heath.  As I read, I made a list of topics that hit home for me that I wanted to discuss on this blog.  The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that I didn't just want to analyze the book and put out a one-sided article.  What I really wanted was to have a dynamic conversation with other professionals about ideas that can impact the way we approach Change Management.

With that in mind, I am kicking off Practical Change Management's first ever Virtual Book Club (VBC).  There are no fees to join, no mandatory conference calls, and if you don't keep up with the reading, I promise not to send a note home to your parents.  All you have to do is pick up a copy of the book and start reading.  Check back here regularly to find the current topic of discussion, read your peers' ideas, and add your own.  If you're not good at remembering to check back, you can click here to "officially" sign up.  Send me your e-mail address, and I'll send you a reminder each time a new post is added (And don't worry, I won't sell your e-mail address to anyone.  I wouldn't even know who to sell it to.).

In each post, I will include the discussion topic for the next post so that you have time to read that part of the book and think through how you would handle the situation I'm discussing.

I look forward to discussing this book with you!  Please feel free to invite others to join the conversation, as well.  Expertise in Change Management is not required...just a passion for reading and discussing excellent books.

Many thanks,
Emily

First Discussion Topic: Chip and Dan use the concept of the rider, elephant, and path as the core theme of their book.  On page 12, they give the "glove" example as a classic elephant appeal (Look!  You only have to read a few pages to join the first discussion.).  This made me think: How would I create an elephant presentation for a "boring" project, such as an IT system implementation?  What would your elephant presentation be for a "boring" project?

In the next post, I'll let you know what I came up with for an elephant presentation around an Oracle ERP implementation.

No comments:

Post a Comment